Thursday, January 15, 2009

Les Carroz's Santa Unmasked!!!

Day 1 on the Teles for Andy.

Day One for Andy on the Telemark skis today. It was quite surprising to us how few people in the french Alps telemark. Proportionally, there would definitely be more teleskiers in NZ. So we are very lucky that the little ski hire shop in our village is owned and run by a telemark enthusiast named Bertrand. He is a lovely young fellow, who runs the ski rental shop in the winter and a downhill mountain biking operation in the summer. We haven't seen him on the slopes yet, but we suspect he will be no slouch!!

Back to the story of my Misery Sticks (aka known as telemark skis)...it was a long long day for me. De l'apres midi, "Je n'ai plus des jambes!" I thought that this was a very clever expresssion meaning literally "I have no more legs" - "I am exhusted". I had found this expression in the Lonely Planet phrasebook and thought that I'd try it out on Bertrand when I returned the skis to him at the end of the day! Malheureusement (Unfortunately), what I actually said to Bertrand was "Je n'nai plus des jambons" This translates to "I have no more hams!! " He fell about laughing! Aaaah... this confounded language!

What the heck! Our visit to Bertrand's shop couldn't get any more embarrassing so I decided to try on some of his ski hats for size. I found the perfect one!! Belle... n'est-ce pas?

2/ Stylish!

And finally, today we think we have "unmasked" the Les Carroz Santa. Taking this kind of photo is always fraught. I was forbidden to go up and ask this poor man whether he was the Les Carroz Santa! So I had to pretend that I was taking a photo of Graeme instead.

3/ Ignore Graeme...check out Santa in the background!!



Posted by Picasa

No comments: